Monday, August 30, 2010


Introducing the next level of Mechanical Engineers.......Friday night.

U of IL (part 2)
The picture does say at least a 1000 words......following a few pubs stops, the decision to head 'home' became unanimous. The incredible drawing power of a CAT excavator was too much for this set of three future engineers of America.
Parking.....now that's a 'bad' word in my vocabulary, and the U of IL did not disappoint me. With google map directions in hand, I easily found the Office of Parking building a mile or so from the campus. I was falsely pleased that nobody else had discovered this 'gem' on that particular time of day....3:30pm Friday. I could see at least 5 dedicated employees through the bullet-proof glass. The large sign in the front lobby clearly directed all new pass holders to a small closet sized room down a short hallway where 2 computers beckoned users to log on.
After several futile attempts I approached the thick glass with my simple request......a 2-day visitors pass, please. I was informed that the sign and computers were not intended for visitor's passes. Right. Ok, what do I need to do? A copy of your car's registration form, a completed City of Champaign Parking Registration Form, a valid driver's license, $15.00, and a pound of flesh.
Thanks to David's email and foresight, I was prepared with the appropriate copies and completed forms. This should be simple! Right!
Just so this doesn't become an entire chapter.....the process, for a prepared visitor, was 25 minutes. Five minutes to locate change for a $20. Remember how crowded it was when I entered? The number of applicants remained constant the entire time. ONE.
After receiving the Yellow pass, shown above, I was advised of the 20 blocks where the pass was valid, and that I needed to fine the right meter, the 10-hour ones. And, that I should find a meter, park the car, and not move it, using somebody else's vehicle. What? You have got to be kidding me! (they weren't smiling, so I don't think they were)
I learned later that the parking fine, if I didn't have the pass, was less than the pass. LOL. OH, one must simply shake their head when you come across such gross inadequacies and incompetent processes. Note that I didn't blame the 'friendly' people. (I'm working on it, ok!)


No comments: